Deep fudgy chocolate cupcakes with a cheesecake center and cream cheese frosting!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: makes approx. 24 cupcakes
I sometimes use affiliate links in my content for products that I use. This won’t cost you anything but helps to offset the recipe costs, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cheesecake Stuffed Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 6 oz chocolate chips
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 Tablespoon milk
- pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with liners.
- Mix chocolate cake mix with milk, oil and eggs until combined.
- Place 1 Tbsp of mix in each of the cupcake liners.
- Mix together the 8 ounces softened cream cheese, sugar and egg.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix until combined.
- Place 1 Tbsp of cream cheese mixture in the center of the chocolate batter.
- Cover with 1 Tbsp of remaining chocolate batter.
- Bake 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on cooling rack.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the 12 ounces softened cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in butter until combined.
- Add powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, salt and 1 Tbsp milk.
- Mix slowly until combined.
- Beat medium speed until creamy, add 1 more Tbsp milk to thin out if needed.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
Mix chocolate cake mix, with milk, eggs and oil until combined.
In a separate bowl, combine cream cheese, egg and sugar.
Add chocolate chips and mix until combined. I used mini-semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you can use whatever you choose.
Place 1 Tbsp of the chocolate batter in each liner, followed by 1 Tbsp of cream cheese mixture in the center of each.
Top with 1 more Tbsp of the chocolate batter.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool.
To make the frosting, start by beating the softened cream cheese until smooth in the stand mixer.
Add softened butter and mix until creamy.
Add powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, salt and 1 Tbsp of milk. Slowly start mixer so you don’t end up wearing the ingredients. Mix until smooth and creamy, you can add an additional 1 Tbsp of milk to thin the frosting if you need to.
Dutch process cocoa powder always makes a deeper flavor. If you can’t find any, you can always order it here. Ghirardelli Unsweetened Dutch Process Cocoa Pouch, 8 Ounce, Brown, Dark Chocolate