This sweet and salty mix satisfies every craving!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Servings: makes 24 big bars
Spanish Peanut Bars
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp water
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cup Spanish peanuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugars.
- Add vanilla, water and egg yolks.
- Combine four, baking soda, and salt, add to the butter and sugars mixture.
- Press into 15×10 in ungreased jelly roll pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Add brown sugar and mix until combined.
- Spread mixture over chocolate chips.
- Sprinkle with Spanish peanuts.
- Cook until melted and smooth.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool before cutting.
Cream butter and sugars.
Add vanilla, water and egg yolks. *Save the whites for later in the recipe
Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a small bowl. Add to the butter and sugar mixture and mix until combined.
Press the dough into the 15×10 ungreased jelly roll pan.
Sprinkle the crust with the chocolate chips. I use milk chocolate, but semi-sweet works just as good.
Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks.
Crumble in the brown sugar and mix until combined. Spread the meringue over the chocolate chips.
Sprinkle with Spanish peanuts. I find these in the snack peanut aisle at our grocery store.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.